Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Julia/Julie --Quick Take

I have been devouring DVDs while I study, letting them run in the background. Occasionally, a movie will catch my eye or ear and I will watch it.

I had watched Julia/Julie before. It is a lovely movie. A great biographical story about Julia and Paul Child and their life in France where Julia falls in love with French Cooking. This love led to her collaboration with two other French cooks in the development and publishing of Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

Julia Child's name was been widely known for over 40 years, yet I had never read her cookbook since I am not a cook. So, I loved Julie Powell's project to cook 365 of the recipes in Child's cookbook. I have watched the movie many times with and without the Director's commentary.

I am intimidated by Beef Bourguignon but I was intrigued by poached eggs, so I tried it and succeeded! It is a nicely cooked soft boiled egg or maybe-over easy. The only problem is that it is not as easy to eat as it appeared in Julia/Julie. I made a mess of it.

No comments: